TF6120 : St Nicholas' Chapel in Kings Lynn - south doorway

taken 7 years ago, near to King's Lynn, Norfolk, Great Britain

St Nicholas' Chapel in Kings Lynn - south doorway
St Nicholas' Chapel in Kings Lynn - south doorway
St Nicholas' chapel > LinkExternal link - it is situated a short distance north of the town centre - is a very large building > LinkExternal link and the largest chapel of ease in the country. It is described by many as one of the finest buildings of its date in England. Unable to maintain both buildings, it was decided that the parish would retain St Margaret's and allow for St Nicholas' to be declared redundant in 1989. The chapel has since been in the care of The Churches Conservations Trust and until 1996 it was the main concert venue for the King's Lynn Festival. First mentioned in the 13th century the chapel served its parent church, St Margaret, and the ever growing population in the newly established town of Linn, as it was known back then. The chapel was enlarged during the 15th century and restored in 1852/53 and it was during the Victorian restoration that most medieval furnishings and woodwork were removed, some of which are now on display at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. The present spire (designed by GG Scott) was completed in 1869/70, replacing an older one that had fallen down in a gale. The south porch > LinkExternal link is two storeys high and has and a vaulted ceiling adorned with roof bosses. It shelters the original elaborately carved doorway > LinkExternal link. The chapel houses a 17th century font > LinkExternal link and a very large and unusual stoup > LinkExternal link can be seen to the north of it. Two medieval choir stalls with their poppyheads carved on both sides > LinkExternal link have survived in the sanctuary, and several old benches with carved elbow rests > LinkExternal link can be found in the south chancel aisle. The chapel contains a fine collection of monuments > LinkExternal link - a 15th century tomb chest can be found outside in the churchyard > LinkExternal link.

See other images of St Nicholas' Chapel
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF6120, 902 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 2 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 5 July, 2010
Category
Church detail   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 618 204 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:45.4335N 0:23.8522E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 618 204
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register