ST3188 : Barnard Street, Newport

taken 8 years ago, near to Newport/Casnewydd, Great Britain

Barnard Street, Newport
Barnard Street, Newport
Barnard Street is a short cul-de-sac, connecting with, and here viewed from, the western arm of Whitby Place.

The street, and the surrounding Barnardtown area, are named after Edward Barnard, who, c1870, invested in building small new terraces of houses to replace the original houses, which were slums arranged in tight rows, whose inhabitants lived in appalling conditions.

The rebuilt area became known as Barnard's town, later shortened to Barnardtown.
A highly religious man, Barnard gave the new streets names such as Dean, Bishop and Canon, and stipulated that there were to be no pubs in the area.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST3188, 1799 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 6 July, 2010
Category
Cul-de-sac   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 318 885 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:35.4723N 2:59.1523W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 317 885
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 39 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register