NZ1700 : The Station, Richmond

taken 7 years ago, near to Richmond, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

The Station, Richmond
The Station, Richmond
In 1845, the Great North of England Railway (GNER) was granted powers to construct a branch line from Coopers House near Dalton, 6 miles south of Darlington, to Richmond. While construction of the line was underway the GNER was reconstituted as the York & Newcastle Railway, and it was this company which opened the line on 1846. Although the line opened on 10 September 1846, the present station at Richmond was not opened until 9 April 1847, a temporary wooden platform being provided in the interim.
BR proposed closure of the line in 1963 but this was vigorously opposed by the local community and the proposal was withdrawn. However the line was progressively run down over the next few years. Goods traffic was withdrawn in 1967 and this enabled the railway to lift all the sidings, including the two in the train shed, and remove all the signals. The station was finally closed on 3 March 1969. The remaining track was lifted and the building lay derelict until the whole site was acquired by the District Council.
Eventually the passenger terminus became a popular Farm and Garden Centre, though it closed in 2001. In 2003 a community-based project to regenerate Richmond Station was given the go ahead. The building re-opened - named simply The Station - on 9 November 2007, with two cinema screens, a restaurant and café-bar, an art gallery, a heritage centre, a number of rooms for public use, and a range of artisan food-producers.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Whale and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1700, 310 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 10 July, 2010
Category
Railway station (converted)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 176 009 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:24.1973N 1:43.7854W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 176 009
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 150 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register