SP2864 : St Mary's Church and churchyard, Warwick

taken 7 years ago, near to Warwick, Warwickshire, Great Britain

St Mary's Church and churchyard, Warwick
St Mary's Church and churchyard, Warwick
A view from the southeast. The mediaeval church, in scale like a small cathedral, was largely destroyed by the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694. The rebuilding was completed in 1704, early in reign of Queen Anne, who contributed 1,000 to the cost. Pevsner devotes pages to the church and its contents. The Beauchamp Chapel and the crypt, mediaeval survivors of the fire, should not be overlooked. In the centre of the photo is a common churchyard tree, the Irish yew, here in its golden-leaved form (Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea'). A fastigiate tree is one whose branches tend to be upright-growing and closely-packed, as though in bundles.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2864, 728 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 11 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 11 July, 2010
Category
Church (Church of England)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2820 6495 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:16.9185N 1:35.2832W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2821 6494
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 32 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register