NT6309 : The remains of Southdean Old Parish Church

taken 7 years ago, near to Southdean, Scottish Borders, Great Britain

The remains of Southdean Old Parish Church
The remains of Southdean Old Parish Church
It is on record that Galfrid was the “vicar of Soudon” in 1260, although the church is believed to have been built on a 12th century foundation. The church consisted of a chancel for the priest, a central nave for the congregation and a tower for the bells. In 1688, the roof of the church collapsed just after a congregation left the building and a new church was built at Chesters in 1690. This church is also in a ruined state NT6210 : Southdean (Chesters) Parish Church and Churchyard. Hawick Archaeological Society excavated the site in 1910 exposing the low walls of the church and restoring the tower walls at the west end of the building. A roof was added to provide a safe storage area for various stones from the church. Scottish leaders assembled on this site before the Battle of Otterburn in 1388 and this is commemorated by an inscribed stone panel on the east wall of the tower. The inscription is as follows:-

SOUDEN KIRK HERE IN THE YEAR 1388. JAMES
EARL OF DOUGLAS AND THE OTHER SCOTTISH LEADERS
ASSEMBLED THEIR FORCES, MATURED THEIR PLANS, AND
BEGAN THE INVASION OF ENGLAND WHICH CULMINATED IN
THE BATTLE OF OTTERBURNE

“WHEN THE
DEAD DOUGLAS
WON THE FIELD”

THESE WALLS REPAIRED
AND THIS STONE
INSERTED – 1910

The church remains are on the southwest side of the A6088 next to Southdean Farm and steps down from the road provide access to the site. Some of this description was sourced from a small site information board.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Walter Baxter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT6309, 12 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 11 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 12 July, 2010
Category
Church (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 6314 0917 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:22.5072N 2:34.9918W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 6316 0918
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 95 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register