SJ8496 : Oxford Road

taken 7 years ago, near to Manchester, Great Britain

Oxford Road
Oxford Road
Manchester Museum is on the right hand side; beyond is the Whitworth Building of the University of Manchester.
The Manchester Museum
Manchester Museum displays works of archaeology, anthropology and natural history. It is owned by the University of Manchester is sited on Oxford Road at the heart of the university's group of neo-Gothic buildings.

The Manchester Museum started life with the purchase of the collection of the Manchester manufacturer John Leigh Philips and the creation of the Manchester Natural History Society in 1821. They displayed the collection in their Peter Street premises and in 1850 they added the collection of the Manchester Geological Society. Owens College (now the University of Manchester) accepted responsibility for the collections in 1867.

The college commissioned Alfred Waterhouse, the architect of the Town Hall and London's magnificent Natural History Museum, to design a museum to house the collections for the benefit of students and the public on a site in Oxford Road (then Oxford Street). The Manchester Museum was opened to the public in 1888. The 1912 extension, The Jesse Haworth pavilion, is Grade II-listed (English Heritage Building ID: 454842 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

By the twentieth century, the collection was split into archaeology, botany, Egyptology, entomology, ethnography, mineralogy, palaeontology, numismatics and zoology, as well as live specimens in the aquarium and vivarium. Providing access to about 6 million items from every continent, it is now the UK's largest university museum and serves both as a major visitor attraction and as a resource for academic research and teaching. It has around 360,000 visitors each year (LinkExternal link The History of The Manchester Museum). The Gothic Revival street frontage which continues to the Whitworth Hall has been ingeniously integrated by three generations of the Waterhouse family.

In 1997 the Museum was awarded a £12.5 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and this, together with money from the European Regional Development Fund, the University of Manchester, the Wellcome Trust, The Wolfson Foundation and other sponsors enabled the Museum to refurbish and expand including the addition of a museum café in the former Dental School. The renewed museum opened in 2003 (LinkExternal link Manchester History Net).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8496, 175 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 13 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 15 July, 2010
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Educational sites  City, Town centre 
Category
City street   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 846 965 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.9461N 2:14.0054W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 845 966
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 72 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register