NT0467 : Peel Park

taken 7 years ago, near to Livingston Village, West Lothian, Great Britain

Peel Park
Peel Park, taken 7 years ago
This part of the park represents the gardens of Livigston House. According to the gazetteer for Scotland "The garden of the old mansion-house contained, about the middle of the 17th century, a large typical collection of plants, forming a sort of botanic garden, and amounting to about 1000 species-for those days a very large number. It was formed by Sir Patrick Murray of Livingston, one of the most promising men of science of his time, who died, while quite a young man, during a journey on the Continent, undertaken for the purpose of increasing his botanical knowledge. The plants were then removed to Edinburgh by Sir Andrew Balfour, and formed a large proportion of those with which the first Botanic Garden of that city-the Old Physic Gardens-was stocked in 1670".
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jim Smillie and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2010
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT0467, 23 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Friday, 23 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 25 July, 2010
Category
Park > Park   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 040 675 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:53.4840N 3:32.1355W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 040 675
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 27 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved