The rather impressive nave.
The site of the church was that of a Norman cemetery chapel of St Thomas Becket. It was built cruciform during 1284 by the priory under William de Littleport Link
. The tower was started about this time Link
but as a detached structure. All the rest is of the 14th, 15th and 19th century.
The St Thomas Becket chapel Link
which stands at the east end of the south aisle, was added in 1315. The south aisle Link
was added in 1360, the north Link
during the late 15th century. In 1450 the height of the church was raised by two metres, which involved rebuilding the arcades Link
. During this time it was given the addition of a clerestory Link
and hammer-beam roof Link
. The spire is believed to have been added in the early 15th century as was the huge seven-light west window Link
Immediately ahead is a brass chandelier of 1766 Link
. During festivals its 36 candles are lit. To the rear is the rood screen Link
part 1875 (by J. Oldrid Scott) and part 15th century, above which hangs the rood (cross) Link
which was repainted in 1959. To the right, above and behind the lectern, is the organ loft Link
which was built when the organ was rebuilt, in 1972.
To the left stands the pulpit with tester, by George G Pace of York Link
. This has replaced a much larger three-decker pulpit. To the left of this, on a flattened arch, is a figure of Our Lord on the Cross Link
which was given in memory of Basil Gordon Nicholas, the vicar here between 1920 and 1945 - the year of his death.
To the right is a glimpse of the baptismal font, of 1868 Link
The church faces east-southeast to west-northwest, rather than east to west Link