SJ8496 : Upper Brook Street
near to Manchester, Great Britain
Upper Brook Street Unitarian Chapel
The Unitarian Chapel, Upper Brook Street, Manchester, a Grade II* listed building, was described by the Victorian Society in 2010 Link as one of the ten most endangered Victorian buildings in England & Wales
The former Unitarian Chapel has been owned by Manchester City Council since the 1970s. Opened in 1839 it is the first known example of a Gothic nonconformist chapel and believed to have been an early collaboration between Sir Charles Barry and AWN Pugin before they worked together on the Palace of Westminster. Yet despite its national significance, the chapel has been neglected for decades, resulting in 2005 in the removal of its roof. The chapel is now open to the elements and largely a ruin.
It was constructed between 1837 and 1839 out of sandstone, with a slate roof. It is in English neogothic style. The building has seven narrow bays, with buttresses and a lancet in each bay. The west end has a giant moulded archway, with an arched doorway at the ground floor with a window above. On the east end there is a rose window. The corners are square, with pinnacles. The inside of the chapel had galleries on three sides, and a ribbed, vaulted ceiling. The attached two-storey Sunday School is in the same style as the chapel, and has a triple-gabled north side, with large arched windows on the first floor. It also has a canted apse on the west end, and a lean-to porch.
The chapel was originally constructed for the Unitarians and was used for burial rites until at least 1857 (although the chapel has no graveyard), as well as baptisms until at least 1912, and marriages until at least 1916.
The chapel was sold in 1928 and subsequently used as a Welsh Baptist Chapel. It was then used as a Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall in the early 1970s. The most recent use of both the chapel and former Sunday School was for the Islamic Academy of Manchester between 1974 and 2006, when it was used as a mosque, teaching centre and for outreach work in the Asian community. The chapel is currently vacant, whilst the Islamic Academy still occupy the Sunday School.
More information and photos on Wikipedia: Link
Update, June 2016 Latest revival plans Link involve creating 73 flats inside the restored shell.
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Change to interactive Map >
- Grid Square
- SJ8496, 159 images (more nearby )
- Gerald England (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Date Taken
- Monday, 2 August, 2010 (more nearby)
- Wednesday, 4 August, 2010
- Geographical Context
- Road (from Tags)
- Road > A road (Classified A) (more nearby)
- Subject Location
OSGB36: SJ 848 967 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.0522N 2:13.8080W
- Photographer Location
- OSGB36: SJ 848 967
- View Direction
- North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this page
This page has been viewed about 219 times.