H7242 : The church of St Salvator (Church of Ireland) on the Castle Leslie Estate

near to Glasloch, Glennan, Bellanaman, Annaghroe Bridge and Bondville, Monaghan, Ireland

The church of St Salvator (Church of Ireland) on the Castle Leslie Estate
The church of St Salvator (Church of Ireland) on the Castle Leslie Estate
In 1665, the energetic 95 year old John Leslie, Bishop of Clogher, bought the estate which surrounds the village of Glaslough. By his death, just before his 100th birthday, he had strengthened and extended the Castle and built this church nearby. In front of it stands a war memorial on which several of the Leslie family are commemorated. LinkExternal link
After nearly 350 years the family still owns the estate which is run on commercial lines LinkExternal link
Its little church was in the international news when Paul McCartney was married here in 2002.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright D Gore and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2010
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H7242, 5 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for H7242)
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 16 August, 2010
Category
Religious buildings > Church (Church of Ireland)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 725 420 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:19.2966N 6:53.1939W
Photographer Location
Irish: geotagged! H 724 420
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 571 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donate to geograph