TL8783 : The site of St Giles' church, Thetford

near to Thetford, Norfolk, Great Britain

The site of St Giles' church, Thetford
The site of St Giles' church, Thetford
Of the 21 churches that once existed in Thetford only three are still standing. St Giles' is one of the churches of which no traces remain. The church was situated at the back of the building that houses the Halifax Building Society (by the junction of King Street and St Giles Lane). Listed in 1291 and 1368, by which time it was used by the Canons of the Augustinian priory. It is believed to have served as a parish church until the 1470s when it was let to a hermit who lived in it and performed services there for his own benefit. The building was converted into a barn in 1598 and later became a wheelwright's shop. It was still standing in the 18th century. Any remains presumably lie below the yard at the back of the shops in King Street.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2010
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL8783, 86 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Friday, 20 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 August, 2010
Category
Church (site of)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 870 831 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:24.8346N 0:44.9320E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 870 830
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 74 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations welcome!