TG2410 : The site of St William's chapel in Mousehold Heath

near to Sprowston, Norfolk, Great Britain

The site of St William's chapel in Mousehold Heath
The site of St William's chapel in Mousehold Heath
In 1144 the body of a boy - William, a tanner's apprentice from Norwich - was found on at this spot in Mousehold Heath. His death was believed to have been the result of ritual murder carried out by Jews. He attained the status of saint and martyr, and after initially having been buried where he was found, his body was exhumed and enshrined in 1150 in the Norwich Anglican Cathedral. A chapel that already stood here - belonging to the priory that once stood here and dedicated to St Catherine de Monte - was to be re-consecrated to the honour of William. Until this day the site is being kept clear of bracken and brambles and it can easily be found. It is situated beside a footpath leading through the heath, a short distance to the south-west of the junction of Gurney Road and Heartsease Lane > LinkExternal link.

Mousehold Heath once formed part of the great expanse of heathland that extended from the north-eastern bank of the River Wensum towards the villages of Salhouse and Rackheath. Originally the heath was maintained by grazing but without maintenance the trees have grown tall and the area is now a woodland much frequented by walkers. The overgrown workings of 19th century gravel, flint, lime and marl extraction can still be seen. Mousehold Heath covers nearly 200 acres (81 ha) and is much appreciated by Norwich people as a public open space.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2010
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2410, 14 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Saturday, 11 September, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 12 September, 2010
Category
Chapel/Castle (remains of)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 247 104 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:38.7178N 1:19.2277E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 247 104
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 279 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register