NT7277 : Barns Ness lighthouse

near to Skateraw, East Lothian, Great Britain

Barns Ness lighthouse
Barns Ness lighthouse
Barns Ness lighthouse, 37m high, was completed in 1901 by engineering brothers David A. and Charles Alexander Stevenson. It took 2 years to construct, using stone brought from Craigree and Barnton quarries in NW Edinburgh. It was operated by two resident keepers until 1966, when it became semi-automatic & the staff requirement was reduced to one. The light had a range of 10 miles. It was fully automated in 1986 but became redundant after a review of requirements in October 2005 and was sold to a private buyer the following year.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lynne Kirton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2006
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT7277, 93 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for NT7277)
Date Taken
Saturday, 12 August, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 15 August, 2006
Category
Lighthouse   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 723 772 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:59.2179N 2:26.7334W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 720 771
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 719 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register