NS3978 : Wall at Cordale Point

taken 7 years ago, near to Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Wall at Cordale Point
Wall at Cordale Point
The footpath is the one shown in NS3978 : Footpath leading around Cordale Point; the present photograph was taken from a point not much further along the path. For a view from the other end, see NS3978 : Wall at Cordale Point.

This wall was probably associated with the Cordale Print Works. Although this area at the southern end of Cordale Point was not occupied by any of the buildings of the print works, it was probably used industrially in connection with them. See the link in the first paragraph for the effects on the ground.

The beginnings of this site are described as follows by Joseph Irving in his "Book of Dumbartonshire" (Vol. 1; 1879): "The oldest firm in the Vale is that of William Stirling & Sons, of Cordale and Dalquhurn. William Stirling, the original founder of the firm of William Stirling & Sons, was the son of John Stirling, a Virginian merchant, and provost of Glasgow in 1728. ... In 1770, William Stirling feued the land of Cordale from John Campbell of Stonefield, took into partnership his three sons, Andrew, John, and James, and erected Cordale Print Works, where they carried on the business of Calico printing".
Cordale Point
[ˈkɔɾdəlˠ] This is one of the two named Points on the River Leven, the other being Dalquhurn Point LinkExternal link a little further downriver (questionably, Sandpoint might be added, but it is at the confluence with the Clyde).

On pages 56 of "The Vale of Leven" (1975), J Agnew mentions that there used to be evidence of a change in the course of the River Leven opposite Cordale Point, but that this geological evidence was destroyed when "the embankment on the Bonhill side was lowered some twenty feet about 1941, and the hummocks levelled off". The book contains further comments about the change of course and about embankments that had built here in the past.

As early as 1770, Cordale Point had been the site of a printworks. In that year, William Stirling, son of a Virginia merchant, feued the lands of Cordale and erected the Cordale Print Works, operated by his firm, William Stirling & Sons. He had Cordale House (now gone) built nearby, at c.NS39097881, near the neck of Cordale Point. In 1860, the house was the property of James Stirling, but in 1866, John Matheson, formerly of Dalquhurn Cottage, moved there. In 1876, he assumed full management of the firm William Stirling & Sons. The firm was one of those that amalgamated in 1898 to form United Turkey Red. Work ceased at Cordale Point in 1942.

The remains of the Print Works on Cordale Point are shown on older OS maps. At the time of writing, relics of structures exist on the point, though mainly in the form of trip hazards such as pits and ditches; the ground is in any case contaminated. There is a footpath around the point; signs alongside it warn walkers not to leave the path, because of contaminated land. The contaminated soil is variously white, pink, or blue, with elevated levels of arsenic, chromium, and lead. Lead levels are particularly high in the pink soils.

Norman Duncan, in his 1998 publication "Forgotten History of the Vale of Leven 16981998", mentions that during the Second World War, "the Dalmonach and Cordale works buildings were opened up and used by the Army and Navy as barracks".

A building remains standing at NS39307876; I have been informed that it was the power house for the Cordale Works. The bell from the works is on view at NS38578225, at Loch Lomond Shores.

A lade that passes through the neck of the Point is known by local anglers as Ritchie's Lade. I presume that it takes its name from Robert Ritchie, who was manager of the Cordale Works, and who died in 1900. Many decades ago, when the inlets and outlets were still open, some youngsters used to float through the lade on rafts.

A nearby area of housing is called Cordale. Several decades ago, it was officially renamed Kirkland, after a respected local doctor, but the name seems not to have stuck.
River Leven (Dunbartonshire)
The River Leven (Uisge Leamhna in Gaelic) is a stretch of water in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, flowing from Loch Lomond in the North to the River Clyde in the South. The total length of the river is approximately 6 miles.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3978, 146 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 30 November, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 23 December, 2010
Geographical Context
Boundary, Barrier 
Place (from Tags)
Cordale Point 
Season (from Tags)
Winter 
Weather (from Tags)
Snow 
River (from Tags)
Leven 
Category
Wall > Wall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3940 7851 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:58.3583N 4:34.5032W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3940 7852
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Wall 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 42 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register