SP3691 : Former Clarkson International Tools site, King Edward Road, Nuneaton

taken 13 years ago, near to Nuneaton, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Former Clarkson International Tools site, King Edward Road, Nuneaton
Former Clarkson International Tools site, King Edward Road, Nuneaton
This was the site of the head office of Clarkson International Tools or Clarkson Machine Tools until 2001. The finishing stages of the demolition of the buildings can be seen here.
Some of the history of the company can be found at LinkExternal link
"Thorn acquired Clarkson International Tools in 1974. Thorn became Thorn Emi in 1979. FKI acquired the mechanical engineering and components division of Thorn EMI Plc in 1986.
Hydra Tools International Ltd acquired Clarkson-Osborn International from FKI PLC in 1998. The Clarkson Tool and Cutter Grinders operation was taken over by March Engineering Ltd (maybe 2001). March Engineering Ltd closed down in 2004.'
'The "Working Lives" website provides a number of recorded interviews with persons that have worked at the Nuneaton Clarkson's factory.
According to the "Working Lives" interviews - "Fred Stevens (in his interview) mentioned that Mr Clarkson had a shop at the back of Marks and Spencers just before the war. Mr Clarkson could not get the heat treatment right and would have gone bankrupt, but the war started and the MOD invested in the company because Britain needed the tooling for the war effort. Later, Mr Clarkson would travel the world selling his tooling. Mr Clarkson then built the King Edward Road factory to produce End Mills and Milling Cutters etc.
Michael John Smith (in his interview) mentioned that the Clarkson factory started up in 1947 and was closed in 2001. Mr Smith started work in 1961 and mentions there were some 450 machines then. Due to efficient CNC (that also contributed to redundancies) there were only about 100 machines in 2001.
He mentions that the factory was divided into the following sections Turning, Milling, Grinding, Heat Treatment, Stores, Steel Stores, and the Offices.
The steel came in, it was turned, then milled, then formed in the tool and cutter grinders, then heat treated, then out to the stores. A cutter came in as raw material and left 13 weeks later as a finished product. He mentioned that Clarkson's was taken over 2 or 3 times during its lifetime. When Osborns of Leeds took over they were underfunded. He arrived at work one day and was told the Receivers were in. He lost his pension (40 years service) and the factory closed.
Business at Clarkson's Nuneaton was booming in the late 60's. A worker mentions he feels the demise of the firm started as they became a part of Thorn."

The signs on the right refer to King Edward Business Park which is a small set of buildings down a driveway to the right. Businesses there are CCL Powder Coating and Birds Precision Engineering.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Brightley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP3691, 162 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 19 February, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 30 January, 2011
Category
Factory (demolished)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 3670 9162 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:31.2738N 1:27.6329W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 3665 9160
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 1748 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register