The very straight line of the shore here is the result of fairly recent work, and is considerably different from the shoreline which is depicted on old maps.
The foreground area at the top of the untidy embankment is part of Sandpoint, which is now home to a gymnasium and a marina, but which, as the OS map of c.1918 shows, was formerly the site of a "lifeboat building works" (c.NS39727486
) and "launch building & engineering works" (c.NS39697481
[In addition, Woodyard (c.NS39547497
), though it lies just outside of Sandpoint proper, is located just to the north-west, and was the original home of the Denny shipyard before it moved to a site north of Dumbarton Rock – see NS3974 : View across old jetty
and NS3974 : Remains of a jetty
. There is still a Woodyard Road leading to Sandpoint.]
Also, just off the southern side of Sandpoint (the side from which this picture was taken) was a timber pond, which does not appear on the first-edition OS map (1860), but which had appeared by the end of the nineteenth century. Traces of that timber pond can still be seen at low tide: NS3974 : Remains of a timber pond
. However, the modified shoreline here now overlies part of its original area.
The background of the photograph shows Dumbarton Rock – Link
– on the right; a nearer dark area, visible in the water in front of the Rock (it is about halfway between the photographer's position and the Rock), is NS3974 : Black Lair
. Just to the left of the Rock is the home ground of NS4074 : Dumbarton F.C.
(Strathclyde Homes Stadium). Further to the left is Dumbuck Hill with its large quarry (NS4274 : Dumbuck Quarry