This building was the NS3875 : Chapel of Notre Dame Convent Dumbarton
; see that item, as well as NS3875 : Chapel of the Sisters of Notre Dame
, for further information, and for additional views.
The chapel stands at the top of a crag, above NS3875 : Havoc Hole
. For further information on the chapel and the now-demolished convent (which was adjacent to the chapel, on the ENE side), see their listed building report: Link
The southern side of the building is shown to better effect at the second of the links in the first paragraph. Above the bricked-up doorway on that side of the building is a sculpted tympanum with a Latin inscription: NS3875 : Plaque on South wall of the Chapel
. Above it is a statue: NS3875 : Statue on south wall of Chapel
For the northern side of the chapel, see NS3875 : North facing windows of the Chapel
. For a view of the building as a whole from a different angle, see NS3875 : Ruined chapel in Dumbarton
(my own picture was, by chance, taken on the following day).
At the time of the first-edition OS map (surveyed in 1860), Clarkhill House stood nearby, at NS38157557
(about 40m to the ENE of the spot where the chapel would later be built); it therefore stood at more or less the spot from which NS3875 : Ruined chapel in Dumbarton
was taken. Its name corresponds to the "Clerkhil" of the Pont/Blaeu map, which was based on surveys in the 1580s-90s; for this and other old names in the area, see NS3776 : Hawthornhill Road
In 1912, Notre Dame School appeared, immediately to the north and east of Clarkhill House (which was then still standing). By the 1920s, Clarkhill House was gone; the Notre Dame convent had, by then, been built on the same site. The chapel was a slightly later addition; it appeared in the mid-1930s.
Notre Dame School, which was immediately to the north of the convent, would expand considerably over the next few decades, being rebuilt in 1969; its buildings were demolished after that school merged with another in 1990: see NS3875 : Cunninghame Graham Memorial Park