M3799 : Swinford railway station
near to Beal Atha na Muice, Cloonfinnaun and Cloonlara, Mayo, Ireland
The Collooney to Limerick Railway Line – The Burma Road :: G5419
Covering some 139 miles in remote western Ireland, the first section of the Burma Road opened between Limerick and Ennis in 1859. It reached Athenry in 1869, where it joined the Athenry & Tuam Railway (opened 1860), extended to Claremorris in 1894 and Collooney Junction (with running powers to Sligo) in 1895. Coming under the control of the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway, the line was absorbed into the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1901 and became part of the Great Southern Railways in 1924, with ownership transferring to Cόras Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) in 1945. Known as the Burma Road due to the high number of level crossings, passenger services ceased between Collooney and Claremorris in 1963 and between Claremorris and Ennis in 1976, although passengers returned to Ennis – Athenry on 29 March 2010. Freight services were withdrawn between Collooney Junction and Claremorris on 3 November 1975 and between Claremorris and Ennis on 11 November 2002. Although there is pressure to reopen the line between Athenry and Collooney, this quintessential Irish branch line will continue to slumber in the current economic climate.
- Grid Square
- M3799, 20 images (more nearby )
- The Carlisle Kid (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Geograph (Fourth Visitor for M3799)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
- Date Taken
- Wednesday, 8 October, 1975 (more nearby)
- Saturday, 9 April, 2011
- Railway station, with train (more nearby)
- Subject Location
Irish: M 3732 9989 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:56.6789N 8:57.3178W
- Photographer Location
- Irish: M 3732 9989
- View Direction
- East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
This page has been viewed about 608 times.