SD7314 : Jumbles Reservoir

near to Toppings, Bolton, Great Britain

Jumbles Reservoir
Jumbles Reservoir
Looking across the reservoir towards The Grange, from close to SD7314 : Jumbles Country Park Visitor Centre .
Jumbles Country Park and Reservoir
Jumbles Country Park lies within the valley of Bradshaw Brook to the north of Bolton. To the immediate south of the park are the villages of Bromley Cross SD7313 and Bradshaw SD7213. To the north are the villages of Chapeltown SD7315 and Edgworth SD7416, whilst to the east is Affetside SD7513. Also overlooking the area to the north is SD7315 : Turton Tower .

The name “Jumbles” appeared during the 19th century, it may be a derivation of "dumbles" a north-country word for a narrow valley with a rough stream running through it (LinkExternal link - Lancashire Telegraph).

Since the Middle Ages, the waters of Bradshaw Brook have been harnessed to power the valley’s industries and the area has had a history of industrial activity based on textiles; a factor which has been fundamental in the development of the area for water catchment and storage. Fulling mills used the water supply to improve and thicken woollen cloth. Over the centuries wool textiles were superseded by wool and linen and later, by pure cotton; the waters were then needed for cleaning and bleaching processes. Bradshaw Brook also supplied other industries including two paper mills, Nicodean Works and the Chapeltown Paper Company. During the eighteenth century, coal mining helped to fuel the growing industries but by 1860 all workings had ceased.

The country park is a popular walking area, and as a host to many forms of wildlife; it has been popular with visitors and the local community ever since it was opened in 1971 following the construction of Jumbles reservoir.

The Jumbles Reservoir lies within the Jumbles Country Park. Constructed between 1967 and 1970, it was officially opened on 11 March 1971 by HRH Queen Elizabeth II for the Bolton Corporation Waterworks (since privatisation the reservoir is now owned by United Utilities). The reservoir's original purpose was to guarantee water for the Croal-Irwell river system and the associated industries.

LinkExternal link - United Utilities
LinkExternal link - Wikipedia
LinkExternal link - Bolton.org
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD7314, 56 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 17 April, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 18 April, 2011
Category
Reservoir > Reservoir   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 734 140 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:37.3114N 2:24.2176W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 7360 1403
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 166 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted