TF6001 : Denver Mill - Blackstone Engine

near to Denver, Norfolk, Great Britain

Denver Mill - Blackstone Engine
Denver Mill - Blackstone Engine
A single cylinder open crank oil engine which ran on diesel or heavy oil. Usually at 180rpm she ran the 'steam plant' from 1932 until 1969 6 days a week. The engine replaced an earlier steam engine for the steam mill in the adjacent room.
Denver Windmill
Denver windmill was built in 1835, replacing an earlier post mill which was marked on the 1824 Ordnance Survey map. The mill was built for John Porter and the tower bears a place with the legend JMP 1835. A steam mill had been erected at Denver windmill by 1863, powered by a 12 horsepower steam engine. This drove three pairs of millstones, as did the windmill.

In 1896, James Gleaves made a Deed of Assignment and the mill was offered for sale by auction at the Crown Hotel, Downham Market but was withdrawn from sale at the auction. The mill was later bought by Thomas Harris, who had previously run the post mill at Southery. On 22 February 1908, the mill was damaged in a gale and put out of action. Thomas Harris died in 1925 and left the mill to his son Thomas, who continued to work it by wind and a diesel engine, which had replaced the earlier steam engine.In 1941 the curb was damaged, ending the use of wind power. Milling continued by a Blackstone diesel engine until 1969 when Thomas Harris died. The mill passed to his sister, Edith Staines, who offered the mill to Norfolk County Council on condition that they covered the legal fees.
In 1995, the Mill House was put up for sale, and purchased by the Norfolk Historic Buildings Trust. The mill was sold by Norfolk County Council to the Norfolk Historic Building Trust at this time. Restoration work to restore the mill to full working order was carried out at a cost of over 1,000,000. This was partly funded by grants from the European Regional Development Fund, the Heritage Lottery Fund, Norfolk County Council and the Rural Development Commission and a loan from the Architectural Heritage Fund. The restored mill opened to the public in March 2000.
Sourced from Wikipedia
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ashley Dace and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF6001, 38 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Monday, 25 April, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 25 April, 2011
Geographical Context
Industry 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 605 012 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:35.1110N 0:22.0657E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 604 012
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 177 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register