This vehicle was built in August 1890 by the Great Eastern Railway at Stratford as a six-compartment main line 3rd class coach, weighing approximately 4˝ tons. As such it would have had upholstered seats and been fitted with continuous brakes of the Westinghouse type. Three of the compartments were designated as ‘Smoking’ and fitted with extra ventilators on the roof, and had the windows marked by etched glass signs saying ‘Smoking’. Originally this coach would have been finished in varnished teak livery, then in later years a painted teak colour followed, in around 1919, by GER crimson lake of which there are still traces left on the headstock.
At about the time of the grouping in 1923, when the LNER took over the GER, 1041 received steam heating and reverted to painted teak livery. It had LNER markings applied, and was renumbered to 60704 in the LNER series for GER coaches.
As more bogie stock became available, 60704 was downrated to branch line use, and its contemporaries ran on the Stour Valley line through Chappel. After a working life of 45 years, 60704 was withdrawn in 1935 and the body sold as a bungalow to a site at Homersfield on the Waveney Valley line, near Bungay in Suffolk.
It was subsequently bought for preservation, and under many layers of paint and tar, it is in a remarkable state of preservation. At present, the Bungay coach currently rests on Platform 2, where it functions as a shop under the name of “The Curio Coach”
Taken from Link