NN9412 : The Old Church Tower

near to Auchterarder, Perth And Kinross, Great Britain

The Old Church Tower
The Old Church Tower
Only the tower remains of Auchterarder's third parish church which was built in 1660 and dedicated to St. MacKessog. Reputedly the stone used in its construction was plundered from Kincardine Castle to the south of the town, which was beseiged in 1646 and subsequently used to provide building materials. The church itself was demolished after the new church was built in 1904 with just the tower left standing. On the right of the photo is the war memorial built circa 1920.

St. MacKessog came to Loch Lomondside in 510AD to bring Christianity to the people of Argyll.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Martin Addison and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NN9412, 41 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 9 May, 2011
Geographical Context
City, Town centre  Religious sites  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NN 94500 12907 [1m precision]
WGS84: 56:17.8093N 3:42.3783W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NN 94521 12914
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Tower  Town  Town Centre  Church (Former)  Church Tower  Churchyard  War Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 32 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donate to geograph