NS4075 : Gravestone of Daniel McAusland

near to Bellsmyre, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Gravestone of Daniel McAusland
Gravestone of Daniel McAusland
The stone is located near the NS4075 : Dumbarton Cemetery entrance; see that photograph for context.

According to the inscription, it is "in memory of Daniel McAusland, late rope maker in Dumbarton, a councillor and treasurer of the burgh ... suddenly cut off from his friends by the visitation of cholera, October 12, 1849, aged 63". The intervening part of the text recounts his fine qualities and activities, but does not supply many biographical details.

According to Donald Macleod's "The God's Acres of Dumbarton" (1888), the monument was erected by public subscription, and was originally situated near the North Free Church (see below). The inscription is by the Rev. James Smith.

Daniel McAusland was born in Greenock on the 10th of April, 1787, to John McAusland and Catherine Douglas; he was the second-youngest of their four sons (they also had three daughters). He married Agnes Connell on the 1st of February, 1808; they had eight daughters and one son.

[Their son, John, married Christian Denny, daughter of the shipbuilder William Denny. Their memorial can be seen in the foreground of a picture of NS4076 : The Denny family mausoleum; the names John McAusland and Christian Denny can be made out in that photograph.]

Daniel came to reside in Dumbarton on the 1st of March, 1811, to take up the post of Superintendent of the Ropework. He later become its sole proprietor (the old Ropewalk stretched from NS4074 : Castle Road to NS4075 : Gruggies Burn). For the last few years of his life he lived beside the North Free Church (as noted above, the gravestone was originally placed near there). His wife survived him by less than two years, dying on the 28th of August 1851, aged 66.

As the inscription mentions, Daniel died of cholera. Scotland had earlier experienced a serious cholera epidemic in 1832, which came to be known as "the cholera year"; see NS4076 : The Richard Memorial.
Dumbarton Cemetery :: NS4076
The cemetery was formally opened on the 4th of October, 1854, replacing the overcrowded parish churchyard. See the Geograph article "Dumbarton Cemetery" LinkExternal link for a detailed discussion. For biographies of many of those buried here, and for descriptions of their memorials, see Donald MacLeod's "The God's Acres of Dumbarton" (1888), and the same author's "Dumbarton: Its Recent Men and Events" (1898).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4075, 108 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 13 May, 2011
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4090 7594 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.0042N 4:32.9716W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4090 7593
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Gravestone  Dumbarton Cemetery 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 196 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register