J3474 : Queen's Quay railway station

near to Shankill, Belfast County Borough, Ballymacarret, Cliftonville and Skegoneill, Ireland

Queen's Quay railway station
Queen's Quay railway station
Opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen's Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14. It lost all but services to Bangor in 1950 and was finally closed in 1976 as part of the central line project. Later demolished to make way for the cross-harbour road and rail link. For a current view of the site, see J3474 : Site of former Queen's Quay station, Belfast For an interior view, see J3474 : Queen's Quay station - interior
Queen’s Quay railway station, Belfast and Central Services Depot
Situated on the County Down side of the River Lagan, Queen’s Quay station opened in 1848 as the Belfast terminus for the Belfast & County Down Railway (BCDR). The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway built a separate terminus in 1865 and this was combined with the BCDR buildings when the two companies merged in 1884. However, the original structures were largely demolished when Queen’s Quay station was extensively rebuilt in 1910-14.
The BCDR was acquired by the Ulster Transport Authority (UTA) in 1948 and Queen’s Quay suffered grievously following closure of the BCDR main line to Newcastle in 1950. In the early 1950s, the UTA removed the overall roof while track to Platform 5 and the surviving locomotive release roads were lifted in the early 1960s. The former BCDR freight sheds were also abandoned.
Formed in 1967, Northern Ireland Railways (NIR) closed Queen’s Quay station on 10 April 1976, services transferring to the new Belfast Central Station. By this time, Queen’s Quay was a pale shadow of its former glory with much internal damage due to terrorist attacks. Although the station was later demolished, the former yards and servicing facilities became Central Services Depot (CSD), being used by NIR for stock storage and railcar maintenance. CSD closed in November 1994 on completion of the cross-harbour rail & road links and the entire Queen’s Quay site is now buried under the M3 motorway.
For the purpose of this Shared Description, Queen’s Quay covers the area out to Ballymacarrett Junction. For photographs of surviving structures on the BCDR line to Newcastle (and branches), see: LinkExternal link . For photographs on the line between Ballymacarrett Junction and Bangor, see: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright TheTurfBurner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1974
· Find out how to reuse this image · For example on your webpage, blog, a forum, or Wikipedia. ·
Discuss There are 4 posts in a discussion
on J3474
(preview on the left)
Modify Suggest an update to this image Email Contact the contributor
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3474, 2687 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
July 1974   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 17 May, 2011
Geographical Context
Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 3462 7459 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:36.0960N 5:55.0578W
Photographer Location
Irish: geotagged! J 3462 7459
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 712 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted