TG4600 : East Suffolk line through Waveney Forest - bridged culvert

near to Fritton, Norfolk, Great Britain

East Suffolk line through Waveney Forest - bridged culvert
East Suffolk line through Waveney Forest - bridged culvert
The bridge carried the railway over a floodwater culvert. This is the view through one of the three culverts. The line, initially running from Beccles to Halesworth, opened in 1854. It was later continued north to Haddiscoe on what is now part of the Wherry Lines, and in 1859 was opened to reach as far south as Ipswich and north to Great Yarmouth. The Beccles to Lowestoft branch line was opened in the same year. In 1862 it became part of the Great Eastern Railway (GER).
Gt Yarmouth to St Olaves railway
The line connected Great Yarmouth (South Town) and St Olaves (Haddiscoe High Level), from where it curved into Fritton Woods. Running in north-easterly direction it entered the village of Belton. No trace of Belton & Burgh Castle station remains: the location and some of the surrounding countryside was designated for development and residential housing now covers much of this area. Running north-west from Belton to Bradwell the line passed All Saints church > LinkExternal link in the north west, crossing St Johns Road and Shortsteps via a bridge, passing Burgh Castle in the south-west. Entering Bradwell from the south-west the line ran alongside Doles Lane. Before reaching Yarmouth South Town station the railway was crossed by the old Lowestoft to Yarmouth line (closed 1970).

A railway station at Haddiscoe was first opened by the Norfolk Railway in 1847 at the Herringfleet Junction. In 1854 the Halesworth, Beccles and Haddiscoe Railway (later renamed the East Suffolk Railway Co.) was opened between those towns and extended via Darsham to Ipswich in 1859. The original Haddiscoe station was closed by the Great Eastern Railway in 1904 in favour of the current location at the junction of the Wherry Line > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link and the now closed Yarmouth-Beccles Line from London to Yarmouth. Both stations operated until withdrawal of services on the Yarmouth line in 1959 which resulted in the closure of the Haddiscoe high level station > LinkExternal link. Until closure the two stations were linked - the link being controlled by the Haddiscoe Junction signal box. The East Suffolk line crossed the then Great Eastern line via a (since dismantled) bridge > LinkExternal link just south of Haddiscoe high level station.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG4600, 52 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 May, 2011
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Rivers, Streams, Drainage  Railways  Woodland, Forest 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 461 009 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:33.0159N 1:37.7151E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 460 009
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 49 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register