SH7683 : The Chapel, St Tudno's Cemetery

near to Gogarth, Conwy, Great Britain

The Chapel, St Tudno's Cemetery
The Chapel, St Tudno's Cemetery
The cemetery, adjacent to SH7683 : The Church of St Tudno, opened in September 1903 and the majority of burials after this time would have been in the cemetery rather than SH7683 : St Tudno's Churchyard.
Eglwys Sant Tudno (St Tudno's Church)
The ancient Church of St Tudno on the Great Orme was the original church of Llandudno, from which the town takes its name. St. Tudno is now the patron saint of Llandudno and his feast day is celebrated on 5th June.

Tudno came to the ancient rock of the Great Orme and climbed the steep paths of the windswept headland to bring the message of Christianity to the little round stone huts.

Nothing remains of Saint Tudno's the original church but it is likely to have been a small wooden building. The present church was built in stone in the twelfth century and enlarged to its present size in the fifteenth century. In 1839 the roof was damaged by a severe storm and it was decided not to repair the church but to build a new church (SH7882 : Holy Trinity Church) nearer to the centre of what was then the village of Llandudno. Restoration was undertaken in 1855, paid for by WH Reece of Birmingham as a thanks offering for his daughter recovering her health whilst staying in Llandudno.

(Information compiled from various leaflets available from the church)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
· Find out how to reuse this image · For example on your webpage, blog, a forum, or Wikipedia. ·
Discuss There are 2 posts in a discussion
on SH7683
(preview on the left)
Modify Suggest an update to this image Email Contact the contributor
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH7683, 229 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Saturday, 21 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 25 May, 2011
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium  Coastal 
Category
Religious buildings > Cemetery chapel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 7682 8386 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:20.2356N 3:51.0859W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 7691 8384
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Cemetery Chapel  Headland  Graveyard  Gravestones 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 21 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register