NS4763 : Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery

near to Paisley, Renfrewshire, Great Britain

Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery
Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery
The memorial is beside the NS4763 : Martyrs' Parish Church (built in 1835), part of which can be seen on the right.

This is not the only martyrs' monument in the cemetery; another one commemorates those executed after the Radical War of 1820: NS4663 : 1820 Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery.

However, the one shown in the present photograph is related to events of an earlier period: "Here lie the corpses of James Algie and John Park, who suffered at the cross of Paisley for refusing the Oath of Abjuration, February 3 1685." (In such a context, "the cross of ..." refers to the mercat cross of a town or city; compare the inscription on the NS8843 : Gravestone of William Harvey, a Covenanter.)

By this time, the oath was being taken from house to house; the penalty for refusing to take it was death (generally on the spot, and often in front of the victim's family). See Gordon Brown's article, "The Killing Times": LinkExternal link

Following their execution, James Algie and John Park were originally interred at NS4763 : The Gallowgreen, but their remains were moved here in 1779. The monument itself was erected in 1835. On its far side is a recumbent slab, apparently the one that was originally set over their graves in the Gallowgreen (see NS4763 : Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery).

Visible at the foot of the monument, on its near side, is an information panel, which gives the text of the inscriptions (those on the monument are badly worn; see, for example, NS4763 : Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery).
Martyrs' Monument, Woodside Cemetery
The monument commemorates James Algie and John Park, who were executed in 1685 for refusing to take the Oath of Abjuration. It is located in Woodside Cemetery, beside Martyrs' Parish Church: LinkExternal link
Woodside Cemetery
Paisley's Woodside Cemetery was formed in 1845 by the Paisley Cemetery Company Limited, who still own and operate it. The grounds were laid out under the direction of Mr Stewart Murray. The first burial took place on the 29th of August 1845. Woodside Crematorium (officially opened on 28 October 1938 by Lord Salveson) is located within the grounds, as are two distinct martyrs' monuments LinkExternal link and LinkExternal link and Martyrs' Parish Church: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4763, 196 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Monday, 11 July, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 23 July, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4716 6385 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:50.6145N 4:26.5528W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4714 6384
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Memorial  Martyrs  Covenanters  Woodside Cemetery 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 212 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register