SP2872 : Church of St Nicholas (interior)

near to Kenilworth, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Church of St Nicholas (interior)
Church of St Nicholas (interior)
Inside SP2872 : St Nicholas' Church.

The earliest written evidence for the church of St Nicholas is its appearance in Pope Nicholas IV's taxation roll of 1291. The Prior and Priory of Kenilworth were its patrons until the Dissolution, when it passed to the Crown.

Nothing remains apparent from the 13th century building, and the present church is basically "perpendicular" of the middle or late 14th century. It is built in the same red, local sandstone as the abbey.

The Church is a Grade I listed building (LinkExternal link - British Listed Buildings)
Abbey Fields, Kenilworth
Abbey Fields is a public open space in the heart of Kenilworth. The ground slopes steeply down from the north and south to the Finham Brook, alongside which a shallow lake has been created on the site of the abbey's original fishponds. Recreational facilities include an open air swimming pool, tennis courts and children's playground.

The Fields were the site of the Abbey of St Mary, founded around 1119 for Augustinian Canons and closed by King Henry VIII's dissolution in 1538. By 1600, most of the abbey’s buildings had been dismantled, although some parts survive today both above and below ground, including the 14th century sandstone Barn, which is now home to the town’s museum, maintained by the Kenilworth History and Archaeology Society and open on summer Sunday and Bank Holiday afternoons.

In the 19th century, the Fields formed part of the estate of the Earls of Clarendon who also owned Kenilworth Castle. The land was put up for sale in 1884, and the central part of the Fields was bought by the Kenilworth Local Board (the forerunner to the District Council). The land was conveyed with a covenant that “said pieces of land may forever hereinafter be used as public walks or pleasure grounds, under the Recreational Grounds Act 1859”. As the Board couldn’t find the finance needed for the purchase of the rest of the land, it was acquired by a few eminent townspeople who developed some of the edges for housing but gifted the rest to the town.

Today the Fields are maintained by Warwick District Council with help from The Friends of Abbey Fields. A covenant on one part of the land requires that it be kept ‘in its natural state as open grassland’, and this is generally the policy today- the Fields are not a conventional park, but a piece of countryside in the centre of the town.

Further details of the history and wildlife of the Fields can be found on the Friends of Abbey Fields website. LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2872, 233 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 7 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 12 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Image Buckets ?
Indoor 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2856 7244 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:20.9575N 1:34.9286W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2855 7243
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 76 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register