SK6049 : Lee Road

taken 7 years ago, near to Calverton, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Lee Road
Lee Road
Part of the western block of development of Calverton as a colliery village in the 1950s. The road takes its name from William Lee, inventor of the knitting frame.
William Lee and the stocking frame :: SK6149
William Lee was born in Calverton around 1563 and was curate in the village when he constructed his first knitting frame in 1589. Failure to obtain patents meant that early development was slow and it was not really until the advent of the large spinning mills in the East Midlands in the late 18th century with Arkwright and later Strutt that the use of the knitting frame expanded.
The frame was essentially a means for individuals to produce machine made goods. Frames would be hired from wealthy investors (who provided materials and took the finished products) and set up in private dwellings. By 1812 there were over 25000 frames in use, primarily in the counties of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire.
Many cottages from the early part of the 19th century still retain the large windows intended to provide good light on the machine. Most often these are in the attic storey, but many of the examples in Calverton itself are on the ground floor.
For more details of William Lee and the Stocking frame, see LinkExternal link and LinkExternal link.
Calverton, colliery village development :: SK6149
The following details have been provided by a local resident, Jim Johnson.
"The prefabricated concrete houses on a rectangular block of land to the West of and bordered by Flatts Lane and those on the eastern side of Labray Rd. and those to the South of a small section of Park Rd. were all erected by the NCB around 1956. The 'Cornish'-style prefab. houses including those on the West and South sides of Labray Rd. were all built by Basford RDC. at the same time. All of the other concrete houses on Park Rd. (between Labray Rd. & Seely Ave.), Newman Rd., Pepper Rd., the southern part of Flatts Lane and Collyer Rd. (between Seely Ave. & Flatts Lane) were erected by Basford RDC. All of the other roads on the 'top estate' (Seely Ave., Ramsdale Ave., Forest Rd., Sherwood Ave., Lee Rd., Park Rd. (from Seely Ave. to Collyer Rd.) and most of Collyer Rd.) have dwellings of brick and tile construction and were built by Basford RDC. between 1952 and 1954. I'm sure that you will also have noticed a pair of semi-detached houses at the junction of Seely & Park Rd. that were built as infilling by Notts. police in 1957. The other estate (known locally as 'the bottom estate' and also in the late 1950's and 60's as 'little Durham' [ because of the influx of miners from the North East at that time ]) to the East of the school campus was wholly NCB-built, circa 1957."
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK6049, 31 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 14 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 18 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Suburb, Urban fringe  Roads, Road transport 
Housing (from Tags)
National Coal Board 
Person (from Tags)
William Lee 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6078 4958 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:2.4029N 1:5.6973W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6073 4960
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Suburban Road  Colliery Village 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 56 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register