TF7336 : Building on the former RAF Sedgeford site

taken 7 years ago, near to Sedgeford, Norfolk, Great Britain

Building on the former RAF Sedgeford site
Building on the former RAF Sedgeford site
The building is believed to have been the Officers' Quarters on the WW1 aerodrome, which served as a night landing ground for RAF Great Yarmouth during WW1 and was later abandoned but used once again during WW2, when the remaining buildings formed part of a 'Q' and 'K' bombing decoy for RAF Bircham Newton. According to official records the site was in operation from June 1940 to August 1942.
WW2 Drem Q and K Stations
Airfield decoy sites represented dummy airfields with the aim to draw enemy bombers away from the true target. Sites operating at night were referred to as "Q" sites and those operating at daytime were "K" sites. At the Fulmodeston site, for instance, dummy Blenheim bombers and flare paths were used to trick enemy planes and to provide protection for the real airfield at nearby RAF West Raynham. The largest room of the shelter was used as rest room for the crew > LinkExternal link. A small passage > LinkExternal link separates it from the generator room at the back > LinkExternal link.

The first Drem Q stations were opened in the late summer of 1941. They were much larger than the old T-tupe stations, with a long flarepath and a V-shaped approach funnel. The main flarepath lights were Glim lamps, ie the standard type of RAF runway lighting, mounted on poles above the crops. Obstruction and other hazard warning lights were also included, as was a motor headlamp designed to catch the eye of hostile pilots. As a concession to the operator in the Drem Q this was mounted on a platform on top of a newly designed shelter adapted for surface construction and protected by heavy banking with earth > LinkExternal link.

Drem Q stations were operated by two men, one working the lamp whilst the other was keeping watch. (Source: Colin Dobinson, "Fields of Deception: Britain's Bombing Decoys in World War II")
RAF Sedgeford
RAF Sedgeford was opened in 1915 and used by the Royal Naval Air Force (RNAF) and the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), to be amalgamated in 1918 into the Royal Air Force (RAF), for the duration of WW1. In 1921, the land occupied by the aerodrome was sold and it soon returned to agriculture. In 1940 the few remaining buildings formed part of a decoy airfield created by the RAF for the protection of the nearby aerodrome at Bircham Newton. The site was closed for good in August 1942. See also > LinkExternal link
(Please note that the site is located on private land and should therefore be visited only by the owner's permission.)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF7336, 51 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 19 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 20 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Derelict, Disused  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 7301 3644 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:53.8535N 0:34.2373E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 7305 3640
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TF7336)
This page has been viewed about 151 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register