SD6902 : Top Chapel

taken 7 years ago, near to Tyldesley, Wigan, Great Britain

Top Chapel
Top Chapel
Top Chapel was Tyldesley's first place of worship. It was built in the Market Square in 1789 for the Countess of Huntingdon's sect which had broken away from the Church of England (LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link ) ). It became known as the Top Chapel due to its geographical location. Later another smaller chapel was built at the bottom of the hill and became known as the Bottom Chapel; this chapel no longer exists.

The Chapel, a grade II listed building (LinkExternal link Images of England), became a Pentecostal Chapel in 1970 after being in decline for a number of years and is now The Community Life Church, affiliated to Elim Pentecostal Churches independent (LinkExternal link ).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD6902, 45 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 29 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 6910 0200 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:30.8258N 2:28.0466W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 6910 0202
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 46 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register