TF2258 : St Michael's Church, Coningsby

taken 7 years ago, near to Coningsby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St Michael's Church, Coningsby
St Michael's Church, Coningsby
The Church has a unique one-handed clock face. One of the few in the country, it is thought to be the largest in the world. The face is painted directly onto the wall of the tower and was probably installed in the 17th century. It is 16.5 feet in diameter and its hand is nearly 9 feet long. The driving weights are large stones and the pendulum is so long that it swings only once every two seconds. The pendulum is not actually attached to the clock; it is some distance away, linked by a long connecting rod. There are only three wheels in the timekeeping mechanism but apparently it keeps excellent time and needs winding once a day. (Wikipedia)
St Michael's church, Coningsby
Grade I listed

The church dates from the 13th century onwards, the chancel has been rebuilt twice, in 1741 and 1870.

There is a western tower with arched openings to north and south allowing pedestrians to pass through, a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, south porch, and chancel with apse.

The tower is of three stages from the 14th century, but the belfry stage is from the 15th century. It is buttressed with embattled parapets. There are six bells.
The church is famous for its one-handed clock, which dates from the 17th century. The dial is 16 feet in diameter and believed to be the largest single-handed clock in Europe.

The nave arcades have five bays with octagonal piers. The north aisle is from the 14th century, with the south aisle being from the 15th century, both have human head label stops. At the east end of the south aisle is a Lady Chapel. The nave has a 14th century king post roof.
The 14th century chancel arch once had a rood loft, and the access doors still remain on the south side.
The south porch dates from the 15th century and has a parvis above.
The chancel, with polygonal apse, was rebuilt in 1870 by T.C. Hine and Son.

The church contains several memorial plaques to members of aircrew from RAF Coningsby killed in flying accidents and WWII.

The two manual organ is originally by Cousans but was rebuilt in the 1970s.

The font is octagonal and from the 14th century. It is believed that the step is an old 12th century capital.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF2258, 66 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 30 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Michaels 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 2224 5803 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:6.3281N 0:10.5295W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 2226 5806
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Clock  One-Handed Clock 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 79 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register