ST9648 : Last resting places, St Giles’ Church, Imber

taken 7 years ago, near to Fore Down [other Features], Wiltshire, Great Britain

Last resting places, St Giles’ Church, Imber
Last resting places, St Giles’ Church, Imber
The body of Sarah Harris lies in perpetuity above that of John Wadman. They both died in the late 17th century. The name Wadman is immortalised by the nearby Wadman's Coppice in ST9449 His successors also operate a car dealership in Devizes LinkExternal link
St Giles’ Church, Imber
Written by Brian Robert Marshall

The church is on the site of an earlier mid 12th century building. The church as seen today is the result of building work carried out in the 13th and 15th centuries, and restorations dating from 1849 and 1895. It continued to serve its parishioners until 1943 when the entire village was depopulated to aid the war effort. The villagers were never allowed back and the village today is, most of the time, used for military training. An unusual feature of the exterior is the top of the tower which has five pinnacles. Many of the interior fittings have been removed to other churches. The font is now in Brixton Deverill LinkExternal link whilst the altar, communion rails and some pews are in Bratton LinkExternal link Other pews made it as far as Churchdown in Gloucestershire LinkExternal link The interior still has much of interest. The church is listed Grade II* LinkExternal link From 1943 until 2002 the church was maintained by the War Department and its successor the Ministry of Defence. Following being declared redundant, the church passed into the care of the Churches Conservation Trust in 2005. Much work spanning the years 2005 to 2009 has been carried out to conserve the building and its features. The church remains consecrated as a place of worship and services are held on certain days each year.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Brian Robert Marshall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST9648, 147 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 1 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 2 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites  Burial ground, Crematorium  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 965 483 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:14.0701N 2:3.0908W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 965 483
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 95 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register