SP6737 : Stowe Park, the rotondo

taken 7 years ago, near to Dadford, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Stowe Park, the rotondo
Stowe Park, the rotondo
A gilded statue of the Medici Venus inside the rotondo, designed by Vanbrugh in about 1720, although moved from its original location. The statue is a modern replacement.
Stowe house and grounds
Stowe house and gardens were all about prestige and making a statement. As the Stowe guide book describes it, ‘power gardening’. They were enlarged and developed in three phases by Richard, Viscount Cobham and his nephew Richard, Earl Temple from about 1700 to 1760.

Significant practitioners in the development included the architects Sir John Vanbrugh and James Gibbs, and the gardeners Charles Bridgeman and William Kent. Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown was head gardener here from 1741 to 1751, which made his reputation. In the 18th and 19th centuries the house and gardens were internationally known and renowned and were some of the first gardens that people visited as tourists for their own pleasure.

By the 20th century the family had become bankrupt and in 1921 sold the estate to become Stowe School, England’s newest public school. Today the gardens are maintained by the National Trust and are open to the public. The house is owned by a Preservation Trust, under the auspices of the English Historic Houses Association, used by Stowe School and open to the public at restricted times throughout the year.

Written by Graham Horn
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Graham Horn and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP6737, 254 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 5 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Park and Public Gardens  Country estates 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 673 371 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:1.6938N 1:1.1591W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 673 370
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Grounds  Rotunda  Statue 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 66 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register