SP6736 : Stowe Park, Eastern Lake Pavilion

taken 7 years ago, near to Chackmore, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Stowe Park, Eastern Lake Pavilion
Stowe Park, Eastern Lake Pavilion
One of a pair on the south side of the Octagon Lake, designed by Vanbrugh in 1719. In 1764 they were modified by Borra to make them more neo-classical and moved further apart.
Stowe house and grounds :: SP6737
Stowe house and gardens were all about prestige and making a statement. As the Stowe guide book describes it, ‘power gardening’. They were enlarged and developed in three phases by Richard, Viscount Cobham and his nephew Richard, Earl Temple from about 1700 to 1760.

Significant practitioners in the development included the architects Sir John Vanbrugh and James Gibbs, and the gardeners Charles Bridgeman and William Kent. Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown was head gardener here from 1741 to 1751, which made his reputation. In the 18th and 19th centuries the house and gardens were internationally known and renowned and were some of the first gardens that people visited as tourists for their own pleasure.

By the 20th century the family had become bankrupt and in 1921 sold the estate to become Stowe School, England’s newest public school. Today the gardens are maintained by the National Trust and are open to the public. The house is owned by a Preservation Trust, under the auspices of the English Historic Houses Association, used by Stowe School and open to the public at restricted times throughout the year.

Written by Graham Horn
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Graham Horn and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP6736, 77 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 6 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Country estates 
Person (from Tags)
Vanbrugh  Borra 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 6778 3691 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:1.5884N 1:0.8116W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 6777 3690
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Pavilion 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 27 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register