TQ7568 : Anti-Tank Blocks, Fort Amherst

taken 7 years ago, near to Brompton, Medway, Great Britain

Anti-Tank Blocks, Fort Amherst
Anti-Tank Blocks, Fort Amherst
These blocks are around the back of a memorial garden at the lower end of Fort Amherst.

In the background is the tower of the Brook Theatre.

The sign in the foreground reads 'Anti Tank Blocks
These Anti-tank blocks are more commonly known as 'Dragon's Teeth' and were once a familiar sight throughout Kent. They were hastily constructed during the summer of 1940 at the height of the German invasion scare with the intention of preventing tanks and other armoured vehicles passing through or around road blocks or other strategic points. They were also employed on beaches to prevent vehicles landing. There were a number of types of these anti-tank blocks, including both fixed and movable versions. There were others designed to close off railways and bridges and to secure gaps in natural defence lines. They were deployed in many thousands throughout the Medway Towns alone, with the nearby arch closed off with fixed blocks in 1940.
These particular blocks formed part of a bridge defence across a railway line near Ashford in Kent. The angular ironwork protruding from them allowed barbed wire entanglements to be used to stop infantry passing through them. They were removed as part of the work in building the Channel Tunnel Rail link and were donated and transported by Kaveaner Plc, the principal contractor of the project.'
Fort Amherst
Fort Amherst was constructed as part of a line of gun batteries to protect Chathamís Royal Dockyard from a land-based attack; the fortifications stretched over 3 kilometres in length and totally enclosed the Dockyard and the village of Brompton. Fort Amherst was, and still is, the most intricate part of the area known as the Great Lines and many areas of the Fort have now been in part carefully restored.
This twenty acre Scheduled Ancient Monument consists of many gun batteries, many with cannon mounted, tunnels and grassy parkland. The parkland is free to visit (now called Great Lines Heritage Park) and is open every day, with easy access and free parking.
See LinkExternal link for more details.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Anstiss and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ7568, 437 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 9 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 7578 6835 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:23.2182N 0:31.4917E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 7578 6836
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register