SK9770 : Grantham Tomb, St Mary le Wigford church, Lincoln

taken 7 years ago, near to Lincoln, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Grantham Tomb, St Mary le Wigford church, Lincoln
Grantham Tomb, St Mary le Wigford church, Lincoln
Dedicated to the memory of Sir Thomas and Lady Grantham, 1618. Generations of the Grantham family had given service to both the Church and the City, and they had resided within the parish, in Brauncegate (which was later to be renamed Grantham Street, in honour of the family).
St Mary le Wigford church, Lincoln
Grade I listed

The site has had settlements since the Iron Age, and the Roman IX Legion arrived in 50AD, when the area became a busy military base. After the Romans departed, Vikings and Danish invaders settled, and the area was known as Wicford.

The first church was a simple two cell building, and later the tower was added. The church was built by Eirtig on his own land, and a dedication stone was incorporated, using a re-used Roman gravestone.

The church dates from the 11th century, the west tower is from that date or earlier, and has a reset stone with Roman and Anglo-Saxon descriptions, as described above.

The rest of the church is mainly Early English with a 13th century north aisle and two bay chapel; the nave has an arcade of three bays. The south aisle is modern (1877).
There is a fine chandelier of 1720 given by the Mayor.
There is a 19th-century barrel-vaulted roof, and the 20 foot tower arch has a 20th century glazed screen.

The church contains a tomb to Sir Thomas Grantham, died 1618, although the two recumbent effigies upon it are in poor condition.

The font dates from the 15th century. The organ is by Forster and Andrews.

In 1848 the railway was built within yards of the church.

The church was restored in 1872, and is the tower restored in 1908. Further additions and alterations were made in 1975.

The east window is by Clayton and Bell, 1877.

For several years the church was used as a centre for the homeless and vulnerable.

The church now has a thriving coffee shop, and is open most days.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9770, 465 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 10 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 10 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Mary Le Wigford 
Place (from Tags)
Lincoln 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9750 7094 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:13.5939N 0:32.4582W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9750 7094
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 114 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register