ST3614 : St Mary’s Minster, Ilminster

near to Ilminster, Somerset, Great Britain

St Mary’s Minster, Ilminster
St Mary’s Minster, Ilminster
Ilminster takes its name from the river Isle and the church of St Mary’s which is known as The Minster. The church was built around 1450 on the site of a Saxon building. It was refurbished in 1825 by William Burgess. Its distinctive colour come from the Hamstone (a Jurassic limestone from Ham Hill in Somerset). The 90ft tower has a stair turret to the north-west corner. The north chapel contains the tombs of Sir William Wadham, by whose bequest the Minster was built, and of Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham, founders of Wadham College, Oxford.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Rogerson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST3614, 48 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 21 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 15 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 3602 1457 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:55.6212N 2:54.7030W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 3603 1454
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Minster  Church of England 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 46 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register