SE1532 : Disused entrance to St Luke's Hospital, Bradford

near to Bradford, Great Britain

Disused entrance to St Luke's Hospital, Bradford
Disused entrance to St Luke's Hospital, Bradford
This pedestrian entrance had been out of use for some time. The buildings on this part of the site had been empty for a number of years, and were being demolished to make way for car parking.
St Luke's Hospital, Bradford
St Luke’s has its origins in the Bradford Union Workhouse, opened on a fourteen acre site in Little Horton in the early 1850s. The main building was a large H shaped block with a single storey administration block in front, facing on to Horton Lane (now Little Horton Lane). In the 1860s four additional accommodation blocks were added, along with various workshops. A new infirmary block was added to the north side in 1904 (the name Bradford Union Hospital being used). In the First World War the site was used as a military hospital.

From 1920 Bradford Corporation leased the site from the Board of Guardians, opening as the country’s first municipal general hospital in April of that year. Additional buildings were later added; by the late 1940s it was known as Bradford St Luke’s Maternity Hospital. In more recent times modern buildings have been constructed to the south of the site, and there has been a move to concentrate many services at Bradford Royal Infirmary. A number of the older buildings, including the 1904 infirmary block (A block) and M block (dating from the 1940s), along with a doctors’ residence from the 1870s were deemed surplus to requirements. M block was later used for the filming of TV series ‘The Royal’; presumably it was little changed from the 1960s when the series was set.

Demolition of the vacated buildings began in October 2010, starting with the doctors’ accommodation. By December of that year demolition of the other empty buildings was well underway. The demolition did not include any of the listed buildings on the site. Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust stated they intended to use the cleared site for temporary car parking.

Sources:
LinkExternal link
LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Phil Champion and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2010
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE1532, 231 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Tuesday, 7 December, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 16 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Construction, Development  Health and social services  Derelict, Disused 
Place (from Tags)
Little Horton  Bradford 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 1594 3200 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:47.0450N 1:45.5738W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 1594 3200
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 102 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register