TQ1996 : The Fire Research Station (9)

near to Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, Great Britain

The Fire Research Station (9)
The Fire Research Station (9)
View of the Eastern side of the Fire Research Station Site, developed and bought into use in 1978. On the right nearest the camera is the end of the Lecture Theatre, just beyond that is the Publicity/AV/Photography building, and across the centre lies the Clarke building, the major offices and laboratory complex and named after a former Director. The area nearest the camera was part of a private sports ground, the area beyond the Clarke building disused allotments. Beyond the site left of centre is one of the gasholders in Station Road and on the distant far right is Borehamwood's only tower block. Closer views of the Clarke building at TQ1996 : The Fire Research Station (10) and TQ1996 : The Fire Research Station (11).

The East arm of the present Coleridge Way follows roughly the line of the site road.
Fire Research Station
The Fire Research Station (FRS) was a development of the Fire Offices' Committee (FOC) Testing Station, erected at Borehamwood in 1935. A joint venture between government and the insurance industry, it was set up in late 1947 with staff from the FOC and from the Building Research Station (BRS) although run as an independent body. The site expanded with major building works in 1958, 1960, late 1960s and mid-1970s. At the latter date FRS was merged with BRS and the Forest Products Laboratory at Princes Risborough to form the Building Research Establishment (BRE). During the 1980s staff numbers were reduced by government cutbacks and FRS was moved to the main BRE site at Garston, N. Watford, in 1994. The insurance-run Loss Prevention Certification Board continued to run the site until the mid-2000s, when taken over by BRE (privatised in 1997) it too was moved to Garston. The site has been cleared of all the original buildings and developed for housing.
Although having an international reputation, FRS was a little-known part of Borehamwood, except for those who worked there! These pictures show something of the site shortly before FRS moved out in 1994. They are split between TQ1995 and TQ1996 as the site crossed the grid line between these two squares.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Webb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1994
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ1996, 58 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
September 1994   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 24 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Business, Retail, Services  Suburb, Urban fringe 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 1938 9603 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:39.0239N 0:16.5508W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 1942 9597
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved