SK3155 : Leawood Pumphouse

near to Holloway, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Leawood Pumphouse
Leawood Pumphouse
Leawood pumphouse is a preserved grade II* listed building. Built in 1849 to supply water to the Cromford Canal from the Derwent below.

The non rotating beam engine was designed and erected by Graham and Company of Milton Works, Elsecar.Inside is a single cylinder beam engine attached to a large plunger. Steam is supplied by two Midland Railway boilers from 1900.

Water is drawn from the River Derwent through a tunnel to a reservoir in the basement. It is then lifted and discharged into the canal.

The pumphouse worked continuously from 1849 until 1944 when the canal closed. It was restored in 1979 by the Cromford Canal Society and is run periodically.

Nearby is Middleton top engine which winched up railway wagons.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ashley Dace and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2011
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK3155, 157 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 30 October, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 31 October, 2011
Geographical Context
Industry 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3152 5568 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:5.8439N 1:31.8439W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 80 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register