Site of St. Margaret's Shrine, Dunfermline Abbey
Following Queen Margaret's canonisation in 1249, her remains were transferred along with those of her husband Malcolm III from a burial vault in the nave to a new chapel behind the High Altar at the east end of the Abbey. When the New Abbey Church was built, the shrine was deliberately left outside the building. In the period leading up to the Scottish Reformation the Catholic Queen Regent, Mary of Guise, had arranged for the remains to be removed to France where they ended up in the Abbey of Douai (now in Belgium) of which her sister was the Abbess. They disappeared at the time of the French Revolution.
"In the following year  Alexander [III] and his mother, with the bishops of the Church, assembled at Dunfermline for the transfer of the remains of Queen Margaret. And when these were raised, a most sweet fragrance filled the whole church. But while the remains were being carried with all due honour to the monument which marked the resting-place of her husband, Malcolm, the bearers found themselves completely unable to go further—until some wise men gave them this advice: to disinter likewise the bones of Malcolm. And, when the saintly bones were united with one another, they were carried without difficulty to the appointed place, where, with due adornment of gold and precious stones, they remain to this day." -- John Major, A History of Greater Britain (16thC)