NZ2463 : Pottery Lane from Redheugh Bridge
near to Gateshead, Great Britain
Forth Banks Goods Station
Construction started on Forth Banks Goods Station in 1866. It was designed by architect, Thomas Prosser, and was commissioned by the North Eastern Railway (NER). The Goods Station opened on the 3rd March 1871. There are photos of the interior here Link Link
In 1904, a new goods station was built for the NER, facing on to Forth Banks, on the end of Prosser's existing station. The probable architect was William Bell. It was extended eastwards by the building of a small, three storey, ferro-concrete shed in 1905. It was designed by William Bell and built by L G Mouchel's Hennebique Company. There is a 1989 photo here: Link
It is a Grade II Listed Building Link
Prosser's goods shed was cut in two by the building of the approach viaduct to the King Edward Bridge in 1904 but was one of the largest goods stations in the world. There is an aerial photo of the location from 1929 here Link
All that now survives of Prosser's goods shed is the undercroft, the south face of which is a sandstone wall pierced by arch headed openings which runs alongside Pottery Lane. The rest was demolished in 1972.
Some literature maintains that the Newcastle-Carlisle Railway once had a passenger station on this site, or even that the Forth Banks Goods Warehouse itself was once a railway station. There appears to be little evidence for this, and the confusion may have arisen from the its (second) temporary terminus (1847-1851) just west of Central Station being called Forth NZ2463 : Former site of Newcastle Forth Railway Station
Alan Young provides a plausible and likely scenario here Link
The first terminus of the railway after the first Scotswood Railway Bridge was built (1839), taking it from Blaydon to the north of the Tyne, is usually referred to as 'Shot Tower’ or ‘Railway Street’, located just north of the current Arena car park. It was used from 1839 to 1847 Link
The railway eventually terminated at Central Station shortly after it was completed in 1851.
English Heritage Pastscape: Link
English Heritage Archives: Link
Tyne & Wear Sitelines: Link
A Brief History of the North Eastern Railway: Link Link
Disused Stations - Newcastle Link
Newcastle City Council - Character Statement Link
Planning permission has recently (2011) been granted for the incorporation of the buildings on Forth Banks (Bell's Goods Warehouse and Kings House), along with part of the site of the Goods Station at the rear, into a £37 million new Police Station for Northumbria Police.
Much of this is detailed in the following blog Link
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Change to interactive Map >
- Grid Square
- NZ2463, 664 images (more nearby)
- Andrew Curtis (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Date Taken
- Monday, 28 November, 2011 (more nearby)
- Wednesday, 30 November, 2011
- Geographical Context
- Subject Location
OSGB36: NZ 2442 6338 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.8673N 1:37.2077W
- Photographer Location
- OSGB36: NZ 2436 6333
- View Direction
- Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this page
This page has been viewed about 111 times.