Pritchard's Cottages were built for the workers of Crymlyn Burrows Chemical Works which was owned by J. Pritchard. The works under his ownership closed in December 1911 (reference: London Gazette). Originally, there were six cottages, although these fell into disrepair over time after the closure of the works. It is not known when the last tenant left, although it is thought to be sometime in the 1950s. Tennant Canal is nearby and the Swansea District railway line is just in front of these cottages.
These two storey cottages were incredibly narrow but relatively long. The ceilings were rather low. The photograph shows the sixth cottage of the row (the remains of only 3 others still stand). The doorway on the left of the chimney stack measured about two feet across - this led to a kitchen area. Just to the right of the stack is a plain plaster area, possibly the back of a fireside cupboard.
Out of shot to the right is a trough, possibly for animals. The rear of the wall still has drainpipe clips. The west side of this building has a small kitchen window. There are no traces of any electrical cabling in these ruins. Each room was heated by coal fires via kinked chimney stacks.
Each cottage had a long back garden and a much smaller front yard. Unusually, the properties were not served by a road, but by a canal path (Tennant Canal) just to the north. Just to the right of the above subject is a sand pit.
A 1949 aerial view shows all cottages still standing. By the 1980s, the centre cottages had collapsed and by the late 1990s the row had succumbed to advanced decay.