Burrows Sidings (latterly Swansea Burrows Freight Yard) was a large yard of railway sidings that used to serve Swansea Docks. This originally formed part of the Swansea (Kings Dock) - Cwmgwrach line built by the Vale of Neath Railway. At its height, as many as 20-25 lines ran parallel in this yard (according to OS Map of 1919).
Yard movements were controlled by Burrows Sidings Signal Box, the first being built in 1884, followed by a larger box built by the Great Western Railway in 1910. It controlled the running lines between Jersey Marine in the east and Swansea Eastern Coal Depot in the west. It also controlled movements towards the Swansea Docks complex where it passed trains to the control of Kings Dock Junction signal box located in the docks complex. The box was originally located just next to the red brick building in the left centre distance. Burrows Sidings signal box was demolished in 1990. The Kings Dock Junction box closed in 1987, dismantled shortly after.
By the 1970s the four dock branch lines had become two - eventually becoming one by the 1990s). An additional line parted westwards from this viewpoint to serve the former Aluminium Wire & Cable (AWCO) works until the late 1970s. Substantial decay of the yard and its facilities followed during the 1990s. Most of the lines have been removed, although some rusty wagons still remain further east.
Just in the right centre distance is the approach road from Fabian Way to the yard and its last remaining building. The yard was latterly operated by EWS.