SJ0075 : The Marble Church, St. Margaret's, Bodelwyddan

taken 6 years ago, near to Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire/Sir Ddinbych, Great Britain

The Marble Church, St. Margaret's, Bodelwyddan
The Marble Church, St. Margaret's, Bodelwyddan
The Victorian era church was erected through the wishes of Margaret, Lady Willoughby de Broke in memory of her husband, Henry Peyto-Verney, 16th Baron Willoughby de Broke, a wealthy man famous for being, erm, mainly rich and reclusive. The grieving widow laid the foundation stone on 24 July 1856 and the new church designed by John Gibson was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 23 August 1860 after construction at a cost of 60,000 - a massive sum in Victorian Britain.

It is arguable what could have been best achieved with that money locally at that time, and whether a church was the stand-out best single idea.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jeremy Bolwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ0075, 66 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 8 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 8 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 0040 7546 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:16.0050N 3:29.6884W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 0043 7547
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 98 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register