NB5166 : Butt of Lewis - 1981

taken 37 years ago, near to Eòropaidh, Na h-Eileanan an Iar, Great Britain

This is 1 of 3 images, with title Butt of Lewis - 1981 in this square
Butt of Lewis - 1981
Butt of Lewis - 1981
Butt of Lewis lighthouse and fog signal. David Stevenson, who was at the time Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, built the lighthouse in 1862. Little is known of the Station's early days, though the first light displayed was probably fixed rather than flashing, but this is not certain. A plaque in the Lightroom indicates that the present equipment was installed in 1905, when the characteristics of the light were one flash every twenty seconds. In 1869, paraffin is known to have replaced the vegetable or fish oil hitherto used as the light source, and indeed continued in use until 1976, when it in turn was replaced by electricity.

The light is fixed, and sits inside a large lens (in effect a giant magnifying glass). The lens revolves around the light, thus giving the familiar flashing effect.

The station became the radio link for the keepers on the isolated Flannan Islands in the early 1930s, and continued to function as such until 1971, when the Flannans were demanned, and the light made automatic. Today the Butt of Lewis acts as the monitoring station for the automatic lights on the Flannans, North Rona and Sula Sgeir and is the radio control station for the North Minch area.

The Butt of Lewis was manned by three Keepers who lived at the Station with their families. The Station's claim to fame, according to the "Guinness Book of Records" some years ago, is that it was the windiest spot in the United Kingdom.

The fog signal at the Butt of Lewis Lighthouse was discontinued on 31 March 1995. The Butt of Lewis Lighthouse was automated on 30 March 1998 and is now remotely monitored from the Board’s headquarters in Edinburgh.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Helmut Zozmann and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NB5166, 108 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
August 1981   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 12 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Coastal  Islands 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NB 5195 6651 [10m precision]
WGS84: 58:30.9513N 6:15.6748W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NB 51986 66427
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register