TQ8218 : The Chancel, St George's church, Brede

taken 7 years ago, near to Brede, East Sussex, Great Britain

The Chancel, St George's church, Brede
The Chancel, St George's church, Brede
Grade I listed

The church dates from the 12th century onwards, although there is evidence of earlier buildings, certainly there was an earlier Norman building.
In Norman times, Brede was accessible from the sea via the river and would have been an important trading place.
There is a western tower, nave with north and south aisle, chancel and south Chapel, known as the Oxenbridge Chapel.
The oldest part of the church are the piers in the south aisle arcade. The north aisle has octagonal piers and was added in 13th century and the nave and chancel were probably extended the same time.
The chancel arch and the arches at the east end of the nave were rebuilt in the 14th century, and in the 15th century the east end of the south aisle was widened to form a Lady Chapel. The Lady Chapel is separated from the chancel by a 16th century oak screen.

The western tower was added in the mid-15th century. The window over the south door has fragments of 15th century glass. The tower has six bells.
The Chancel was rebuilt and widened at the end of the 15th century. In 1493 John oxen bridge left 4 pounds towards the rebuilding of the chancel and three years later Thomas oxen bridge left further money.
There is a piscina and sedilia which is now covered in wood.

The Lady Chapel, or Oxenbridge Chapel contains the tomb of Sir Goddard Oxenbridge d.1531 also known as the Brede Giant on account of his great height. Other members of the influential Oxenbridge family who lived at Ford Place near Brede, (now called Brede place) are represented. In a tomb against the south wall there is a Memorial brass of a female member of the family, this is incomplete. The brasses are now mounted on the rear wall of the tomb but were formerly on the floor of the Chapel. It depicts Robert Oxenbridge Junior and his wife, who died in 1494. There is also a brass to Robert's daughters, Marjorie and Catherine.
Sir Goddard Oxenbridge married Elizabeth Etchingham and also Ann Feinnes, and is reputed to have been extremely tall. His daughter married Sir Robert Tyrwhitt a Lincolnshire knight. See TA0507 : Tomb of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt & wife, All Saints' church. She died in childbirth in 1548. The Lady Chapel is separated from the chancel by a 16th century oak screen.

The church was restored in 1867 and again in 1890.

The organ was built in 1907 by Henry Willis and son and was originally placed in the Oxnbridge Chapel. It was moved to the west end of the nave in 1928.


See other images of St George's church, Brede
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ8218, 52 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 15 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 15 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Georges 
Place (from Tags)
Brede 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 8253 1826 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:56.0940N 0:35.7822E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 8251 1826
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 73 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register