SH6946 : Hydroelectric power station, Llechwedd

taken 15 years ago, near to Rhiwbryfdir, Gwynedd, Great Britain

Hydroelectric power station, Llechwedd
Hydroelectric power station, Llechwedd
This is the Pant Yr Afon power station built to serve Llechwedd Quarry which in 2003 was still in use. The plant dates to 1904 and consists of two Gilbert Gilkes pelton wheel water turbines driving Johnson & Phillips six pole 175 kW DC dynamos at 385 rpm. On this occasion only one was running. Note the simple wooden barrier between the operator and the machinery. This was an extremely nice treat for anyone interest in serious industrial archaeology or early(ish) electrical plant.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH6946, 64 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 25 July, 2003   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 15 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Energy infrastructure  Historic sites and artefacts  Quarrying, Mining  Water resources 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 6971 4688 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:0.2003N 3:56.5844W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 6971 4688
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Water Turbines  Pelton Wheel  Electrical Plant  Dynamos  Hydroelectric  Power Station 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 149 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register