TF4250 : St Mary & St Nicholas church, Wrangle

taken 6 years ago, near to Wrangle, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St Mary & St Nicholas church, Wrangle
St Mary & St Nicholas church, Wrangle
Wrangle is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was spelt Weranghe but by 15th century it had been changed to Wranghill. There was almost certainly a Saxon church on the site in 1086 and the present church is based on the beautiful cathedrals of 12th century France. It is a Marshland church, ie predominantly perpendicular, but there are older parts as well. The arch on the east side of the tower and the south door are believed to be 1190s. The church was given with much land to Waltham Abbey, Essex in the time of Henry II (1154-89) – the priests of that period being supplied by Waltham Abbey.
In the glass of the east window was once an inscription “Thomas de Wyversty, abbas de Waltham me fieri fecit” (the dates of his abbacy of Waltham are 1345-71)
The church was rebuilt in the 1400s. St Mary & St Nicholas is built in late Norman and Early English style with later additions. It has a fine pulpit of the Elizabethan period and a tower with six bells.
Wrangle was an important place in the 13th and 14th centuries when the church was built. In 1359 King Edward III needed a navy to invade France and Wrangle was asked to help. It sent one ship and eight men (Liverpool only sent five men). Although now a mile from the sea, in medieval times Wrangle Church sat next to a creek up which boats sailed from the Wash. The river has long since been silted up but the outline of the banks can still be seen in a field next to the church.

See other images of Ss Mary & Nicholas church, Wrangle
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF4250, 35 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 23 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Wrangle 
Church (from Tags)
St Mary & St Nicholas 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4248 5085 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:2.1573N 0:7.4074E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4249 5082
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for TF4250)
This page has been viewed about 70 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register